About Columbus - Columbus converts knowledge into customer value
We at Columbus share name and qualities with one of the greatest explorers of our times, Christopher Columbus, and our tagline “Once you know how” is in fact a Columbus anecdote.
After Christopher Columbus discovered America, critics argued that anyone could have done so. Columbus challenged them to stand and egg upright on the table, and when they failed, he gently broke the shell and stood the egg up. "Gentlemen," he said, "what you considered impossible is the simplest thing in the world. Anybody can do it—once you know how."
That is what our tagline is all about. “Once you know how” means that anything is possible, once the method is researched and you have the know-how.
Columbus helps companies digitally transform by converting our knowledge into customer value.
And just like our namesake, we are partners to explore the potential of our customers’ business.
If you are a sales-minded hunter, we want to talk to you. Our business is focused on delivering better business outcomes for our customers’. Our driving force, motivating each and every engagement, is to understand our customers’ needs and to discover the solutions and services that will yield valuable results for their business. What makes us different -- and why our customers choose to work with us -- is our proactive, consultative approach to people, process and technology, and our incredible team here at Columbus.
The Business Development Representative (BDR) will work with sales and marketing to identify and qualify new business opportunities. You will be part of a high performing team and will have daily interactions with sales executives, marketing leadership, subject matter experts and prospect decision makers.
The BDR will work with marketing leadership sales executives and subject matter experts to conduct strategic account planning and execute business development activities. Activities will be both strategic and tactical and will include: relationship development, account mapping and planning, marketing response follow up and lead qualification and nurturing. This position will have a heavy focus on phone based activities.
This position is based in our Minneapolis Office. Open to remote work based on experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Proactively develop and lead sales opportunities through prospecting, qualifying, solutioning Columbus service catalog with sales management and sales executives to include strategic prospect targeting and account planning.
- Work with sales and practice leaders to effectively and efficiently identify and target key companies within the teams they support, ensuring the smooth transition of information and feedback from generated leads
- Demonstrates effective understanding of target audience including industry knowledge and key business issues.
- Proactively interacts through phone and email communications to key prospects, including C-level executives on the value of Columbus and solutions.
- Builds product and consulting services knowledge of ERP solution offerings as well as continuously developing sales skills.
- Collaborate with the US Marketing team to increase marketing campaign success through increased awareness, event attendance and lead generation in support of go-to-market plans and industry teams they support
- Participate in sales training, webinars, product training and Columbus marketing events
What we need for you to be successful:
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year College or University; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience selling computer technology highly encouraged.
- Strong knowledge of technology products and services needed, understanding of lead data and CRM systems and experience building relationships and gain trust over the phone and by email with professionals at all levels.
- Ability to connect with prospects, excellent communication & interpersonal skills, technology and internet savvy.
- Ability to learn software quickly, highly organized, self-directed business style, with strong ability to prioritize, interacts effectively with all levels of management and other employees.
- High level of enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and highly self-motivated.
- Must be adaptable, professional, courteous, motivated and work well on their own or as a member of a team.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced environment and challenging workload and strong written/verbal communication skills and presentation skills.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements
- Experience with solution selling in a consultative environment
- Previous Food Industry experience is desired
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Knowledge of Microsoft office software tools such as Word, Excel and Outlook required
- Past experience working with/in CRM systems, specifically Microsoft CRM desired
- Willing to work overtime as needed and requested
- Travel may be required (10%)