Columbus is a world class consultancy organization which provides professional services nationally and internationally including implementing vertical software solutions as well as many ongoing services to meet their clients’ specific requirements.
We are currently seeking a Corporate Counsel, who will be responsible for all legal matters and support the management and all departments company wide. The ideal candidate has experience both from a larger law firm, but preferable also as an in-house Corporate Counsel for a company in the professional service industry and will be able to engage immediately with the needs of the organization.
This individual must have a strong commercial mindset and will be a self-starter with confident decision-making abilities based on a solid analytic approach and a solid legal foundation to any situation he or she will encounter. Columbus is looking for someone who independently can collect and process facts and present solutions and give guidance to the involved stakeholders. Strong communication skills, both verbal and in writing, and the ability to present complex matters in a comprehensive but still simple manner is critical for success in this role.
The role reports directly to the CFO but will also report to and cooperate with our Global Head of Legal in Europe.
Responsibilities of this Corporate Counsel include:
- Write, negotiate and execute agreements and contracts especially with focus on Service related engagements and sales of software and other non-tangible assets
- Offer proactive and value-based counsel to executive management on a variety of legal issues, including contract status, legal risks and business terms of various deals
- Provide assistance related to acquisitions in collaboration with external counsel
- Draft, review, and update various types of agreements relating to structuring and negotiating software and services transactions
- Provides legal counsel to the company on employment matters, including advising the HR and management on various employment related issues, drafting and revising employment related agreements, documents, policies and procedures, managing employment litigation, and assisting with investigations and employee training
- Provide legal opinions and guidance in pending disputes and perform pre-litigation work to minimize risks and maximize legal rights
- Research unique legal issues affecting the organization by identifying applicable statutes, judicial decisions, and codes
- Provide education to executives and employees on relevant legal matters and explain legal language.
- Assist in corporate governance matters, including implementation and oversight of corporate policies for company and any subsidiaries in the US
- Collaborate with our in-house counsels in other group entities on a case by case basis regarding chosen American and international projects/cases
- Interfaces as needed with outside counsel
Desired Skills and Experience
- Degree from an accredited law school (four-year college or university degree) and a member in good standing of a State Bar who is qualified to practice as in-house counsel
- 3 - 8 years relevant experience practicing business and corporate law, either in a law firm or as in-house counsel ideally within the professional service industry
- Excellent legal research, analysis, writing, and communication skills
- General legal foundation knowledge (legal system, contracts, torts)
- Experience drafting contracts and policies as well as licensing
- Above average grade levels from an accredited law school. Please submit [GRADE] with initial application
What we offer:
We offer an exciting opportunity in a fast growing and developing organization. This is a full-time position with an excellent compensation and benefits package, a flexible work environment, and a culture which encourages collaboration and a healthy balance of life and work. This role offers a great career and growth opportunities in a growing organization that is part of an international consultancy with subsidiaries all over US and Europe.
We currently expect to establish an in-house Global Shared Service Legal Center whereby the group in-house legal counsels around the world would potentially work closer together on chosen tasks and cases where relevant. The exact structure and reach of such in-house Global Shared Service Legal Center is still being considered internally, but the final outcome could offer a very interesting add-on for the new US legal role on top of the main US based tasks as we would potentially be able to offer the role to also take part in chosen international projects/tasks as well offer the role both cooperation and collegiality with European based colleagues.
This position will be in our Minneapolis, MN office.